Saturday, 25 February 2012

Are you going to read this?





This one-eyed, nose less ragdoll breed can stay alive for only one day after being born. The condition is known as cyclopia because it creates a birth defect in which a normally two-eyed animal is born with only a single fused eye. In this case, her single eye is located where the nose should be. Her facial deformities were examined at the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke in Bethesda, MD.

Veterinarians in Oregon said Cy suffered from a rare disorder called holoprosencephaly ­­- a birth defect of the brain, which often also affects facial features, causing closely spaced eyes, small head size and sometimes clefts of the lip and roof of the mouth.

Personally when I saw this story, two things happened: I stopped reading at the first line. Then I felt sick. Why? Firstly I was scared; one eyed creatures don’t exist, do they? Except in fairy tales. Secondly, Cy tragic as he is, has nothing in common with the perfect pet I have always had in mind.

Why is it that ‘different’ makes us afraid?












No comments:

Post a Comment